Methods for building strength with weights
Myometric method. It involves muscular work in an overcoming mode. It is the main method in powerlifting and bodybuilding. The athlete spends the main efforts when performing exercises while lifting weights, especially with large and maximum loads. For example, in the process of squatting with a barbell on his shoulders, the athlete, although he resists the pressure of the weight of the barbell, lowering it with a certain tension in the inferior mode, but the main effort is shown during lifting from the squat. This method is especially typical for powerlifting, in which the squat with a barbell on the shoulders is a competitive exercise.
Plyometric method. This method involves the work of muscles in an inferior mode, in which it is possible to develop a much greater absolute value (by 10-30%) muscle tension than in overcoming stresses.
Isometric (static) method. It is a reliable tool for building muscle strength through static exercises. During training, static efforts of general muscle tension (up to 100% of the maximum for 5-10 seconds) and local efforts of individual muscle groups (up to 50% of the maximum for 15-30 seconds) are used.
Combined mode method. This method combines the properties of overcoming, inferior and isometric methods. It is actively used by high-end athletes in many strength sports. This method is effective when 75% of the training time the athlete works in the overcoming mode, 15% in the inferior and 10% in the holding mode.
Physiological basis for the development of strength
Choosing a strength training methodology
In bodybuilding, each muscle is trained separately and 1, 2 or 3 exercises are performed for each workout. This technique is perhaps the most effective. At the same time, one should not train some muscles to the detriment of others: this not only disrupts the harmony of the body as a whole, but is also fraught with injuries.
The so-called circular method has also proven itself well, using which they usually perform one exercise for each muscle, one after the other, with or without a break. This type of training also has its advantages: it is excellent for the development of the cardiovascular system and increases the overall endurance of the body.
More recently, there has been a strong belief that the best way to gain muscle mass is with dumbbells and a barbell. But when powerful simulators appeared, in which not only simple metal blocks are used as resistance, but also hydraulic cylinders, flywheels, air compression or computer biomechanical systems, then very quickly these “miracles” of technology won, if not love, then the respect of many former adherents traditional methods. However, the controversy is still ongoing. And this is no coincidence, because each of these types of sports equipment has its advantages.
The versatility of the barbell and dumbbells is the main distinguishing feature of their advantages:
- a wide range of exercises and load angles that provide versatile stimulation of muscle growth;
- the absence of problems for bodybuilders with non-standard growth, who, when working with simulators, are forced to adjust them for themselves every day;
- the ability to simultaneously work out several muscle groups when performing complex exercises that burn more calories and make the workout more effective;
- the ability to move weights along the most natural trajectory;
- Improving coordination of movements, stability and balance.
Proponents of simulators list the following positive characteristics of this equipment:
- predefined trajectory of movements: the simulator determines the position of the body, the weight moves along a safe trajectory, which makes it easier to master the technique of performing the exercises. In addition, there is no need to worry about keeping the burden in balance;
- the ability to work out muscles in isolation, especially weak points;
- reduction of training time due to the convenience and ease of changing the load;
- security provided by a system of various safety net.